Home > UCT Study Tour for Student Leaders: Apply now!
UCT Study Tour for Student Leaders: Apply now!
16 Mar 2017 - 19:15
Applications for a UCT Study Tour for Student Leaders:
Rebuilding Shattered Societies: Lessons on Memory, Justice, and Redress from Poland and Germany
UCT invites applications for a study tour for student leaders that will involve travel to Germany and Poland from 21 July – 1 August 2017 during the mid-year vacation.
The objective of the Study Tour is to enable twenty outstanding University of Cape Town students who show exceptional leadership qualities and a strong service ethic to:
§ examine issues that confronted post-Holocaust Germany and Poland. How have government institutions, universities, and civil society dealt with societal rebuilding, justice, and redress since 1945? How have both societies dealt with the issue of monuments, memorials, and memory?
§ compare the challenges encountered in post-war Germany and Poland with the legacies of South Africa’s own violent and repressive history. What are the similarities and differences in how their governments and universities have responded to social trauma?
§ think creatively about challenges that await South Africa, and to develop leadership skills. What lessons can we draw from understanding other contexts?
* Must have a valid passport.
* Must be a fulltime UCT student in at least their second year of university study.
* Must be between the age of 19 – 25 years.
* May be from any faculty and academic discipline.
* Must have a proven track record of leadership and service at UCT.
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
* A personal letter of motivation.
* A CV which includes details of leadership roles in the community and at the university.
* Two letters of reference that focus on the candidate’s leadership qualities and experience.
* A copy of your passport bio page.
Successful applicants will be expected to participate in a preparatory programme prior to the study tour, and a follow-up programme after return from the tour. The programme will be facilitated by the Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre.
The bulk of the costs of participation will be covered by the generous sponsorship of Investec, but participants will be expected to pay for some meals and other miscellaneous expenses. Participants will not be excluded because of financial need. For more info, or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should be sent by 17h00 on Wednesday 5 April 2017.